Amateur astronomy equipment, techniques, info, etc

Archive for October, 2011

Icy IC410 with swimming tadpoles

Hi all you sci.astro amateurs,

Last night was very cold here (-25F, -32C), but crystal clear, so out
to the observatory I went and shot the Tadpoles. Luckily they were not
frozen in and were still happily swimming in the IC410 nebula. The
main problem when imaging in sub-zero conditions is to find a way to
keep the laptop from freezing. This was accomplished by putting it in
an insulated igloo.

IC410 image data: AP12" Mak-Cass, 3600 mount, SBIG STL11K camera,
MaximDL imaging software.

http://www.astromart.com/images/forums/643000-643999/643641.jpg
http://www.astromart.com/images/forums/643000-643999/643606.jpg
http://www.astromart.com/images/forums/643000-643999/643604.jpg

RolandoFreezo

.
posted by admin in Uncategorized and have Comments (7)

Re: so why didnt soviets expose fake moon landing?

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:46:49 -0800 (PST), the following
appeared in sci.skeptic, posted by Disneygeek
<edrho…@hotmail.com>:

- — -

>On Jan 15, 2:32 pm, BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 15, 10:56 am, Disneygeek <edrho…@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > On Jan 14, 12:27 am, Sjouke Burry <burrynulnulf…@ppllaanneett.nnll>
>> > wrote:

>> > > Disneygeek wrote:
>> > > > On Jan 13, 1:23 pm, BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > > >> On Jan 13, 2:11 am, Disneygeek <edrho…@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> > > >>> On Jan 13, 12:46 am, BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > > >>>> Why are only Semites so entirely unable to search for anything, such
>> > > >>>> as the albedo of our moon, or that of the full moonshine upon Earth?
>> > > >>> …incidently, I’m Irish. Just another thing you’re wrong about.
>> > > >> You could be from Mars or even Venus for all I care.  You’re still one
>> > > >> of the bad guys.

>> > > > Why? Because I ask you time and again to verify your theories or at
>> > > > least present evidence where you’re getting your numbers from? Yeah, I
>> > > > could see where insisting that you actually make your point instead of
>> > > > just stating it would make me the bad guy in your eyes.

>> > > Dont bother to ask anything from somebody with the
>> > > mind of a 3 year old child.
>> > > Brad can only answer with NANANANANA…..

>> > At three years of age, each of my kids could handle the Internet
>> > better than Brad!

>> Then they are really loads smarter than yourself, because you can’t
>> seem to find anything outside of your Old Testament ruse that supports
>> our NASA/Apollo fiasco.  Their mother must be closely related to
>> Einstein.

>I can find stuff just fine thank you very much. I don’t see where it’s
>MY job to find references that prove YOUR points! Last time I checked,
>it’s YOUR job to provide references to prove YOUR points!

But remember that to Brad, assertions backed by zero
evidence are not "points"; they are challenges. Such as that
it’s up to everyone else to prove (to Brad’s satisfaction,
of course) that we actually landed several Apollo crews on
the moon, or that the 10% reflectance of the lunar surface
means that it will be visible as a very bright area when
compared to a zero-reflectance sky, when the illumination at
the Lunar surface is around 1kW/yd^2.

Bob C.

"Evidence confirming an observation is
evidence that the observation is wrong."
                          – McNameless

posted by admin in Uncategorized and have Comments (24)

Predicting the brightness of a satellite at distance x, how to

I would like to make a rough mathematical estimate of the magnitude of
a Centaur booster at various distances between 500 and 400,000
kilometers.  The object is 12 meters long by 2.5 meters in diameter.
The albedo is not known.  A best guesstimate of the albedo will have
to make?  Can anyone provide a formula or reading references?  Thanks,
Kurt

P.S. – I have already collected empirical examples of detections at
various distances.

posted by admin in Uncategorized and have No Comments

Sky & Telescope's Weekly Bulletin – Jan 16

====================================================
Sky & Telescope’s Weekly Bulletin – January 16, 2009
====================================================

News
========================================
The Curious Case of Martian Methane
—————————————-
January 15, 2009 |  Mars, it seems, is not quite dead. A team of
observers has found methane in the Red Planet’s atmosphere. This
finding proves either that Mars has (or once had) life — or that the
planet’s interior occasionally burps.
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/newsblog/37667714.html

Surprising Trove of Gamma-Ray Pulsars
—————————————-
January 9, 2009 |  Pulsars flash in radio, but some of them flash a
lot more powerfully in gamma rays, due to different processes
happening in different places around them.
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/newsblog/37345099.html

New Cosmic Background Radiation Found
—————————————-
January 11, 2009 |  Astronomers have found something in the very
distant universe filling the sky with a radio roar at frequencies they
did not expect. No one knows what it is.
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/newsblog/37390429.html

Exoplanets Dance in the Same Plane
—————————————-
January 9, 2009 |  Three planets orbit the red dwarf star Gliese 876,
and at least two of them do so in nearly the same plane, according to
an ingenious new study of their interaction.
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/newsblog/37338479.html

Observing
========================================
Catch Winter’s Comet Lulin
—————————————-
January 6, 2009 |  A fast-moving binocular comet should peak at about
5th magnitude in February. With a modest telescope, you can pick it up
now.
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/35992534.html

Tour January’s Sky by Eye and Ear!
—————————————-
January 2, 2009 |  What’s that brilliant beacon in the southwestern
evening sky — a supernova? a UFO? Nope, it’s Venus, this winter’s
dazzling "evening star." Learn more about Venus and other celestial
showpieces by downloading our monthly guide to the night sky!
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/36999144.html

This Week’s Sky at a Glance
========================================
January 16, 2009 |  Venus dazzles high in the evening, with Uranus
right near it but 15,000 times fainter. Still, you can spot Uranus
with binoculars. And Saturn is now rising as early as 9 p.m.
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance/37725184.html

More from Skyblogs
========================================
A Crescent Voyage
—————————————-
January 13, 2009 |  An amateur astronomer in New Orleans has built an
observatory intended to withstand whatever Gulf weather may bring.
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/davidlevy/37497134.html

A Secret Sneak Peek and Fun for Friday
—————————————-
January 16, 2009 |  Psst. Microsoft’s virtual observatory," the
WorldWide Telescope, is coming to your Web browser.
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/astronomyonline/3770…

These Stars Need You
—————————————-
January 14, 2009 |  Here’s a star-buying scheme we can support.
Read More at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/astronomyonline/3756…

Your Daily Guide
========================================
Observer’s Calendar 2009
—————————————-
Daily astronomical information.
http://www.shopatsky.com/productdetail/OC2009.htm

Now in Stock!
========================================
Beautiful Universe 2009
—————————————-
Special Edition for the International Year of Astronomy!
http://www.shopatsky.com/products/U801.L5/Beautiful%20Universe%202009…

Limited Quantities!
========================================
Astronomical Calendar 2009
—————————————-
Guy Ottewell’s legendary calendar for the upcoming year.
http://www.shopatsky.com/productdetail/AC2009.htm

Get Ready for the New Year!
========================================
SkyWatch 2009
—————————————-
Your observing guide for 2009 from the editors of Sky & Telescope.
http://www.shopatsky.com/products/U809.L5/SkyWatch%202009.htm

Home: http://www.skyandtelescope.com
News: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news
Observing: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing
How To: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/howto
Resources: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/resources
Shop At Sky: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/shop

————————————————————————

Copyright 2009 Sky & Telescope Media, LLC. SkyandTelescope.com’s
Weekly Bulletin is provided as a free service to the astronomical
community by the editors of SKY & TELESCOPE magazine. Widespread
distribution is encouraged as long as our copyright notice is
included, with the words "used by permission." This bulletin may not
be published in any other form without written permission from Sky
Publishing; send e-mail to permissi…@SkyandTelescope.com or call +1
617-864-7360.

————————————————————————

To subscribe to Sky & Telescope’s Weekly Bulletin, go to:

> http://SkyandTelescope.com/newsletters

========================================================================

Stuart Goldman          sgold…@SkyandTelescope.com
Associate Editor         http://SkyandTelescope.com
Sky & Telescope Magazine
90 Sherman St.
Cambridge, MA 02140

posted by admin in Uncategorized and have No Comments

Venus is COOL

being maximum elongated, our sister planet is a 1/2 phase.  Really looks
great in the 80mm ED.

posted by admin in Uncategorized and have Comments (2)

when eye pupil smaller than exit pupil.. and CO question

Hi,

I can’t find a definite answer to this in the archives so allow me
to ask this question that has consumed my time the past 8 hours.

I know that when the eye pupil is as large as the obstruction
portion of the exit pupil.. one can’t see anything because
there is no rays. How about if the eye pupil is halfway between
the exit pupil maximum size and the obstructed portion?? How
come you can notice the shadow of the obstruction in the
eyepiece when viewing at daytime where the eye pupil
gets smaller and can even be smaller than the exit pupil (but
not reaching the obstructed portion but just halfway).

Someone (Steve) wrote the following and I think it is wrong.

"The on axis rays behind the obstruction (there are none)
carry no energy to the focal plane, where the rays of the
annulus around the obstruction carry both on axis and off axis
energy to the focal plane.

By decreasing the eye pupil to a size smaller than the exit
pupil of the system you remove off axis (and on axis) light
from both the area on the focal plane that is occupied by the
shadow, and the area of the focal plane that is occupied
by the annulus around the obstruction. The shadowed area
then becomes darker, faster, since it contributes no on
axis rays to the area under itself."

—–

Well. the reason why I think the above explanation is wrong
is because rays entering the objective lens end up in all the
points of the focal plane. Imagine a region a few
degrees from the center of the focal plane. From
its point of view, the obstruction blocks the center
part of the off axis slanted parallel rays entering the
objective lens.

Therefore the person explanation quoted above is not
the reason why we can notice the shadow of the central
obstruction in the eyepiece.The sole reason being that the
obstruction is like a defocussed image much like what happens
if  you put your fingers in front of the objective lens
forming a defocussed image that makes you notice
the shadow of the obstruction forming at the eyepiece
when viewing bright images.

What do you think of Steve theory?? Do you agree with
it or not and why? Thanks.

Paulie

posted by admin in Uncategorized and have Comments (5)

Clocks and the American heritage

http://www.esri.com/lewisandclark/locationthen.html

The delight in discovering how clocks are used  to find location on
the planet is just a dazzling facet of astronomy that is not  taught
in schools or among the wider population even though it is part of the
American frontier heritage.

There is no reason why genuine astronomers cannot simply adopt the
correct 24 hour/360 degree value for daily rotation or at least supply
teachers with the correct value without the need of explaining how the
values mesh through time and planetary geometry.

posted by admin in Uncategorized and have Comments (15)

Re: so why didnt soviets expose fake moon landing?

On Jan 14, 1:35 pm, Government Shill #2 <gov.sh…@gmail.com> wrote:

- — -

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:22:36 -0800 (PST), BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >On Jan 14, 1:16 pm, Government Shill #2 <gov.sh…@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:08:36 -0800 (PST), BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:

> >> >On Jan 14, 12:45 pm, Government Shill #2 <gov.sh…@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:27:00 -0800 (PST), BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com>
> >> >> wrote:

> >> >> >On Jan 14, 10:43 am, Government Shill #2 <gov.sh…@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >> >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:37:24 -0800 (PST), BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com>
> >> >> >> wrote:

> >> >> >> >Government Shill #2 wrote:
> >> >> >> >> On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 07:15:54 -0800 (PST), BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com>
> >> >> >> >> wrote:

> >> >> >> >> >On Jan 13, 10:13?pm, Government Shill #2 <gov.sh…@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >> >> >> >> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:14:25 -0800 (PST), BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com>
> >> >> >> >> >> wrote:

> >> >> >> >> >> >On Jan 13, 3:07 pm, Bob Casanova <nos…@buzz.off> wrote:
> >> >> >> >> >> >> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:34:40 -0500, the following appeared
> >> >> >> >> >> >> in sci.skeptic, posted by BDK <TopSh…@sanity.com>:

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >In article <c1abc139-8383-4528-89d1-
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >791376fff…@w24g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, bradg…@gmail.com says…
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> On Jan 12, 10:42 am, Bob Casanova <nos…@buzz.off> wrote:
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:32:49 -0800 (PST), the following
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > appeared in sci.skeptic, posted by Disneygeek
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > <edrho…@hotmail.com>:

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >On Jan 12, 7:55 am, BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> On Jan 12, 2:13 am, Disneygeek <edrho…@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> > On Jan 11, 11:17 am, BradGuth <bradg…@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> > > Did you ever thank Russia for saving your butts? (why of course not)
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> > > Obviously too busy with false flag operations of your own.

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> > Let’s keep something in perspective. Russia did not "save our butts."
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> > Russia was in league with Nazi Germany until Hitler decided it would
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> > be a good idea to break that agreement and attack them. Whereupon they
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> > joined our side. But there’s no indication that Russia "rode in" to
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> > save us.

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> Wow, you are a pompous ass to boot. The US banks had been by far the
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >> longest "in league with Nazi Germany".

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > >So what? That has nothing to do with what I was saying.

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Ummm… This *is* Brad, y’know.

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> Good grief, at least get those dates, names and places correct. If
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> anything, it seems a whole lot more like we eventually joined the long
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> running Russian side.

> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> Given a few extra weeks delay, it probably wouldn’t have mattered if
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> we ever got involved much outside of protecting our home land and
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> coastal waters.
> >> >> >> >> >> >> >BWHAHAHAHAHA! I wonder what the above means translated to English.

> >> >> >> >> >> >> Nothing. Like I said, this *is* Brad.
> >> >> >> >> >> >> —

> >> >> >> >> >> >> Bob C.

> >> >> >> >> >> >> "Evidence confirming an observation is
> >> >> >> >> >> >> evidence that the observation is wrong."
> >> >> >> >> >> >> – McNameless

> >> >> >> >> >> >For you and others of your Semitic kind, obviously the laws of physics
> >> >> >> >> >> >work differently while orbiting or EVA walking upon our physically
> >> >> >> >> >> >dark Selene/moon.

> >> >> >> >> >> No, no, no ~ BG. It’s not the laws of physics which are different. It’s the
> >> >> >> >> >> laws of English. We (me and others of my Semitic kind) understand them, you
> >> >> >> >> >> don’t.

> >> >> >> >> >Lunar surface IR albedo < 0.9 = 1230 w/m2

> >> >> >> >> > ~ BG

> >> >> >> >> Since we’re posting random "facts"…

> >> >> >> >> The term "Hypervelocity" usually refers to a very high velocity, typically
> >> >> >> >> over 6,700 mph or Mach 8.8. In particular, it refers to velocities that are
> >> >> >> >> high enough that the strength of the materials being impacted are very
> >> >> >> >> small compared to inertial stresses. In a hypervelocity impact, the
> >> >> >> >> impactor, as well as the surface it hits, can undergo temporary
> >> >> >> >> liquefaction, even metals can behave like fluids in these circumstances.
> >> >> >> >> Extreme hypervelocity results in vaporization of the impactor and target.
> >> >> >> >> Meteorite craters are an example of hypervelocity impact.

> >> >> >> >>  ~GS#2

> >> >> >> >Standing moonsuit butt-naked on the physically dark as coal Selene/
> >> >> >> >moon is where your butt and everything else gets full access those
> >> >> >> >pesky 72+ km/s bits of local and cosmic debris (including cosmic black
> >> >> >> >diamonds) zooming past or impacting all around, and the lunar gravity
> >> >> >> >tends to bring its fair share of those passing nearby in for a not so
> >> >> >> >soft landing.  Does that qualify as hypervelocity?

> >> >> >> >How about the 28 km/s hypervelocity of our 2nd captured moon, Cruithne
> >> >> >> >3753?

> >> >> >> The deepest borehole drilled into the Earth is known as the "Kola Superdeep
> >> >> >> Borehole", and is located on the Kola Peninsula in Russia (formerly the
> >> >> >> USSR). The drilling started in 1970 and the deepest bore was completed in
> >> >> >> 1989. After 19 years of drilling, the bore extended 12,261 meters (40,226
> >> >> >> feet or 7.62 miles) below the surface. The bore had penetrated through
> >> >> >> 1/3rd of the estimated 22 mile thick Baltic crust.

> >> >> >>  ~GS#2

> >> >> >> >btw,  what happens to this topic once past the 1000 mark?  Do we each
> >> >> >> >get a door prize?

> >> >> >> 1000 mark? What are you talking about? Oh.. Google Groups? 98% of us have
> >> >> >> no idea what number post we are up to in a thread ~ BG. It’s only the 2%,
> >> >> >> you and Disneygeek, who see that. It’s a GG thing.

> >> >> >So, what exactly do we get for all of this effort of exceeding 1000
> >> >> >replies to this silly and obviously bogus topic?

> >> >> >btw,  how about that 28 km/s hypervelocity of our 2nd captured moon,
> >> >> >Cruithne 3753?

> >> >> Antarctica contains about 90 percent of the world’s ice and 70 percent of
> >> >> its fresh water. Antarctica is covered with ice an average of 7,000 feet
> >> >> thick. If all of the Antarctic ice melted, sea levels around the world
> >> >> would rise about 61 meters (200 feet). But the average temperature in
> >> >> Antarctica is -37C, so the ice there is in no danger of melting.

> >> >>  ~GS#2

> >> >Have you actually fact-checked this data with the local populations of
> >> >penguins that are having a much tougher time of it, all because of
> >> >their ice vanishing.

> >> >You know, a cubic meter of highly compacted snow or solid ice is
> >> >actually a damn good thermal insulator, as well as creating a rather
> >> >nifty shield against solar, moon and cosmic radiation.  Imagine what
> >> >having a km3 of solid ice is worth, and now imagine the same surface
> >> >area of naked Earth. (no computer simulations required, because you
> >> >can go to Greenland for a firsthand look-see)

> >> >btw,  how about explaining away that 28 km/s hypervelocity of our 2nd
> >> >captured moon, Cruithne 3753 (supposedly at 2 g/cm3 and 5 km diameter
> >> >is kind of wussy and not of all that much gravity in of itself).  Good
> >> >thing that Earth captured it, because otherwise it would have become
> >> >just another fuel pellet for our sun.

> >> > ~ BG

> >> Why Birds Wont Get Electrocuted When Standing On Power Cables?
> >> After several ages of discussion, thousands of statements have been made
> >> regarding this. Do birds have super powers? Do birds feet even touch the
> >> cable? Many funny yet possible statements are made based on imginations,
> >> and today I’m going to reveal the fact.
> >> Actually, current do go through the birds body. You should be thinking it’s
> >> impossible, no doubt. YES, the fact it is. How can it withstand the
> >> current? Let me explain more detailed below.
> >> Birds have a high resistance, so as human does. Hence the current prefer to
> >> travels through the cable more likely than through the bird’s body and come
> >> back to the circuit again. Birds have approximately 20,000 Ohm resistance.
> >> It means that there is only a tiny bit of current travels through it only,
> >> and common sense says that it wont die.

> >>  ~GS#2

> >Damn! you get to be No. 1000  (life just isn’t fair)

> Of course! I’m one of They(TM). It’s all orchestrated. Get with the
> programme.

> >You’ve got nothing to lose, so give it your best shot.

> I don’t have to give it any shot. I’m one of "The Team". We make the rules.

> >btw,  how about that 28 km/s hypervelocity of our 2nd captured moon,
> >Cruithne 3753?

> Yes! How about that ~ BG. Lollipop.

Why does our physically dark Selene/moon collect and retain so much
stuff, while continually losing such tonnage of sodium?

If we tossed out a totally random and carefully dispersed million
little magnets into free space (say deployed at the Selene L1, aligned
so as intended to repel away from one another), why would these
magnets always realign and attract upon one another instead of their
repelling away from one another?

Can the same thing be said on behalf of the matter/antimatter
(electron/positron) worth of electrostatic force?

 ~ BG

posted by admin in Uncategorized and have Comments (36)

War Pigs

—–BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE—–

I know this classic song applies to all violent men, military,
police, guards, gangs, and their Atheist masters who get rich
by the blood of their victims, but the most recent atrocities
in Gaza obviously brings Israel and the United States to mind:

 http://lyricwiki.org/Black_Sabbath:War_Pigs

 Generals gathered in their masses
 Just like witches at black masses
 Evil minds that plot destruction
 Sorcerers of death’s construction
 In the fields the bodies burning
 As the war machine keeps turning
 Death and hatred to mankind
 poisoning their brainwashed minds
 Oh Lord yeah!

 Politicians hide themselves away
 They only started the war
 Why should they go out to fight
 They leave their role to the poor

 Time will tell on their power minds
 Making war just for fun
 Treating people just like pawns in chess
 Wait ’till their judgment day comes

 Now in darkness world stops turning
 Ashes where their bodies burning
 No more war pigs have the power
 Hand of God has struck the hour
 Day of judgment God is calling
 On their knees, the war pigs crawling
 Begging mercy for their sins
 Satan laughing spreads his wings
 Oh Lord yeah!
____________________________________________________________

I wonder, is Israel the lapdog of the US, or is it the other
way around? It’s getting rather difficult to tell these days.
One thing’s for sure. Israel and the USA’s days are numbered:
Venus’ Day, December 21, 2012 is 1441 days away and counting…
Pope Benedict XVI is 81 years (29,854 days) old and counting…

In Vigilance,
Daniel Joseph Min
http://www.angelfire.com/moon2/danieljosephmin/

I do not subscribe to usenet newsgroups. Reply
via email, <mailto:danieljosephmin@**PRIVATE**>

—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
iQA/AwUBSWe4LpljD7YrHM/nEQKGaACeKBlaEXNJfSf0SNqrxWchBnkWyM0An3Dg
/E7Bb4Mlyr4QPecfG/w6XD2Y
=DUD4
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–

posted by admin in Uncategorized and have Comments (10)

APPROACHING COMET, NEW SUNSPOTS and FULL MOON ALERT

Space Weather News for Jan. 9, 2009
http://spaceweather.com

APPROACHING COMET:  Comet Lulin (C/2007 N3), discovered in 2007 by a collaborative team of
Taiwanese and Chinese astronomers, is swinging around the sun and approaching Earth. The
photogenic comet has a bright tail and an "anti-tail" visible in mid-sized backyard
telescopes.  At closest approach in February, Comet Lulin is expected to brighten to
naked-eye visibility. Visit http://Spaceweather.com for sky maps, pictures and more
information.

NEW SUNSPOTS:  For the second time this week, a sunspot is coalescing on the surface of
the sun.  The spot’s high latitude and magnetic polarity identify it as a member of new
Solar Cycle 24; its appearance continues a recent trend of gradually intensifying
new-cycle solar activity.  The spot is growing rapidly and may soon provide a nice target
for backyard solar telescopes.

FULL MOON ALERT!  This weekend’s full Moon is the biggest and brightest of 2009. It’s a
"perigee Moon" as much as 50,000 km  closer to Earth than other full Moons we’ll see later
this year.   Perigee moonlight shining through icy winter air can produce beautiful halos,
coronas, moondogs and other atmospheric optics phenomena.  Sample photos are featured on
today’s edition of Spaceweather.com.

posted by admin in Uncategorized and have Comment (1)